Connectors and Prebuilt Cables for your Garmin GPS
GPS Data Cable
- What are these connectors and cables pictured above all about? Click on "Introduction" above
to find out!
HOW TO OBTAIN A PREBUILT GPS CABLE
- If you prefer to obtain a prebuilt data cable or a power/data combination cable
set, you can place your order here.
HOW TO OBTAIN A GPS CONNECTOR
- If you have decided to build your own cable, you can get your own connectors
for a simple pledge!
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT SUPPLYING POWER TO YOUR GPS
- Many of Garmin's GPS receivers will be severely damaged if you attach them to a 12 volt
power supply (as is provided by a lighter socket in automobiles). Yet some will work
just fine. This section provides you with some information on how to provide external power to
your GPS safely.
- HOW TO CONSTRUCT YOUR CABLE
- Two separate documents are available in PDF format to assist you in constructing your cable
with the connectors you obtained. You can download files for constructing cables with the
eTrex/eMap/Geko or Rino connectors.
HOW TO HONOR YOUR CONNECTOR PLEDGE
- Once you've received the connectors, the next step is to honor your pledge.
In this section, you'll find the various ways of getting your pledge sent in to us.
STUDY OF THE ACCURACY OF AVERAGED NON-DIFFERENTIAL GPS MEASUREMENTS
- For quite some time, we have been trying to find a good source of data to answer
the question of "how long is long enough" when averaging the position of a
static GPS position over a length of time to obtain a given level of accuracy.
Failing to find information which adequately addressed the issue, we conducted
our own little experiment, gathering 568,830 positional measurements from a
Garmin GPS 38 and basically analyzing the heck out of the resulting data. If
anything, we were really quite surprised at how well the question could be
answered. For more details (and nifty charts!), please read the
little report we wrote on the experience. Note that this study was done when Selective Availability (SA)
was turned on. Now that SA has been disabled, the results are less relevant than they once were.
- In this area, you'll find other related bits of GPS information - primarily links to
other useful informational sites.
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.